Corinth is the capital of Corinthia Municipality and one of the most important ports of Peloponnese. The modern city is the continuance of the Ancient Corinth, and was built in its current location, in 1858, when the old city was leveled due to an earthquake. So, the new city was built on the sheerwater of the Corinthian Gulf, at a distance of 84 kilometers away from Athens. The capital of the Corinthia Prefecture is located in the middle of the road axis Athens-Patrai, the access to the capital being easy. In the past few years, it has become even easier, due to its connection to the capital via the Suburban Railway, which is the immediate meeting point to the Athens National Airway “Eleftherios Venizelos”.
Acrocorinth, “Upper Corinth”, the acropolis of ancient Corinth, is a monolithic rock overseeing the ancient city of Corinth, Greece. Acrocorinth was continuously occupied from archaic times to the early 19th century. The city’s archaic acropolis, already an easily defensible position due to its geomorphology, was further heavily fortified during the Byzantine Empire and it was defended against the Crusaders for three years by Leo Sgouros. Afterwards it became a fortress of the Frankish Principality of Achaea, the Venetians and the Ottoman Turks. With its secure water supply, Acrocorinth’s fortress was used as the last line of defense in southern Greece because it commanded the Isthmus of Corinth, repelling foes from entry into the Peloponnese peninsula
Loutraki, the second biggest urban center of Corinthia, is built on the foot of the Gerania Mountains and is the seat of the Loutraki – Agioi Theodoroi Municipality. A known tourist resort of the country, mainly for its thermal spas, its mineral water and its casino. During the Antiquity, the area was known as Peraia land and at the place of Loutraki laid the ancient county Thermes or Thermae, favorite city of the gods and its patroness was Thermia Artemis. Its current name is owed to its thermal springs – spas.